Grapefruit Essential Oil for an Uplifted Mood
Grapefruit essential oil is extracted from the outer skin of grapefruit or Citrus x paradise. This large-sized fruit is a hybrid of sweet orange and pomelo and combines the best features of both. Although the existence of this accidental hybrid in the Barbados Island was not known until the 17th century, its medicinal properties quickly gained attention. But it is the weight loss effect that made the fruit – and the essential oil – popular.
The best quality grapefruit essential oil is extracted by compression as in the case of most citrus oils. Since no heat or chemicals are used, it helps preserve the integrity of the oil and the efficacy of its various volatile components. The bitter oil has a refreshing citrusy aroma that can be described as sweet and tangy.
Thanks to all the phytochemicals in the oil, it displays powerful antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties. It can be applied topically when diluted and used in diffusers.
Country of origin: Mexico
Method of Extraction: Cold Pressed/Expressed
Scent Description: Grapefruit essential oil has a sharp refreshing citrusy smell reminiscent of the actual fruit.
Blends Well With: Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, and Bergamot essential oils.
Therapeutic Properties & Uses:
- The health benefits of grapefruit essential oil can be attributed to its properties as a diuretic, disinfectant, stimulant, antidepressant, antiseptic, aperitif, lymphatic, and tonic substance.
- Boosts Immune System, Eliminates & Prevents Infections, Inhibits Microbial Infections, Stimulates Hormone Secretion, Relieves Depression, Controls Appetite, Increases Urination, Removes Toxins, Acts as Tonic.
- Cellulitis, dull skin, toxin build-up, water retention. [Julia Lawless, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils (Rockport, MA: Element Books, 1995), 57-60.]
Shelf Life: 1-2 years
- Essential oils are for aromatherapy and external use only.
- Never apply essential oils in its pure and concentrated forms directly onto the skin. Mix it with a carrier oil first.
- Be sure to do a skin patch test before applying it topically onto the desired area to ensure that there are no allergic or sensitive reactions.
- If you are pregnant, be sure to check with your doctor first before using essential oils.
- MAHALAGANG PAALALA: ANG GRAPEFRUIT ESSENTIAL OIL AY HINDI GAMOT AT HINDI DAPAT GAMITING PANGGAMOT SA ANUMANG URI NG SAKIT.